MICROCEMENT: THE USE OF FIBERGLASS MESH
The subject of fiberglass mesh raises many controversies and questions. Some people wonder whether it really needs to be used, while others even hesitate to use it. In this article, we will explain the importance of mesh in the context of microcement and why we recommend its use.
1. Why is fiberglass mesh cast into the base layer?
The fiberglass mesh has a very high tensile strength, which effectively prevents the transmission of cracks from the concrete substrate. Although the mesh does not completely prevent cracks in the cement layer, it effectively stops them from developing on the finishing surface. This is particularly important in the case of underfloor heating, which can cause additional cracks caused by thermal stresses later in the life of the floor.
2. Types of mesh and their importance
The thickness of the mesh in the system is a key factor that affects the probability of cracks forming in the base layer. FESTFLOOR offers two types of mesh: standard and slim. Both versions are ideal for use with the sub-layer.
- SUPER THIN mesh – chosen by professional microcement contractors for its exceptional flexibility and ease of adaptation to tricky surfaces with numerous corners.
- STANDARD mesh – the most versatile and commonly used option in the finishing sector.
3. FESTKontakt / Festfloor Life Base as an alternative to resin
Both FESTKontakt bonding bridge and FESTFLOOR Life BASE are completely safe solutions. They do not emit toxic fumes during application or setting, which could result in illness or other health problems. In Festfloor, the safety of contractors and users always comes first.